Random Quote Widget For WordPress

WP-Quotes is a simple yet elegant WordPress plugin for displaying quotes, including random quotes. Random Quote Widget is a WordPress widget built on this plugin to comply with the new widget framework provided by WordPress. The widget lets you customize its title and spews out a friendly error message if the WP-Quotes plugin is not installed or activated.

Download

Download the plugin. Rename the file to randomquotes.php after the download.

Installation

Put the file in [wordpress root folder]/wp-content/plugins folder and activate it in the Plugin administration menu. Once activated, you will see the widget in the Sidebar widgets under Presentation administration menu. Note that, Sidebar widgets are seen only for the widgetized themes.

You are ready to use the widget.

1. argotnaut said:

Very nice! Thank you!

The link on this page points to the wrong place, but I figured out where it was supposed to be. :)

Thanks for pointing out the wrong link, it has been corrected now.

3. iface thoughts » Blog Archive » An Update On Moving, From Beta To Gamma said:

[…] Other than this I have written a couple of wrapper widgets for existing plugins, like Random Quote Widget and AWStats popular posts widget. It was just a trivial task of wrapping it in the widget API. […]

4. Rirath said:

Thanks man, this looks great. I’ll be putting it to use right away!

You are welcome Rirath.

6. Diane said:

What a delight to have this plugin widgetized! Thanks so much for making my wish come true.

You are welcome Diane.

8. Robert Story said:

Thanks for providing this very useful widget!

One question: How would one change the title displayed, from “Random Quote” to something else like “Thoughts”?
    Appreciate any guidance that you can provide.

Robert, you can customize the title in the widget itself. When you drag the widget into the sidebar of any widgetized theme, you will see a rectangular block on top-right corner. Click on that and you will get the option to change the title to be displayed.

10. Robert Story said:

I guess I was so busy looking for something to modify in the code, that I failed to notice that feature. Thank you once again!

11. Productivity @ robertstory.com » Blog Archive » Random Quote Widget said:

[…] If you enjoy the quote box, now labeled “Inspirational Thoughts”, and would like to implement the same on your site, Abhijit Nadgouda has written a great widget for this that is available at his site: ifacethougts. Check it out. […]

12. Lorelle said:

I love this plugin and wrote up Importing Quotes Into the Random Quote Generator WordPress Plugin – WP-Quotes. I had so many quotes, I figured out how to get all of them easily imported into WP-Quotes. I’m thrilled it’s now a widget! Thanks for the news.

13. George said:

I love your blog, because I’m searching for unique articles, and good content, what I’m interested in.
    Congrats!

Lorelle, I think there are lots of plugins out there that should be widgetized, which is not that difficult. I am going to try and do some more.

Thanks George.

16. WP-Quotes Random Quote Generator WordPress Plugin Now a Widget « Lorelle on WordPress said:

[…] Somehow, with all the trauma in the drama of my life lately, I missed the fact that one of my favorite WordPress Plugins, WP-Quotes, has been turned into a WordPress Widget. […]

17. Wordpress Widgetizer on iface thoughts said:

[…] I had meaning to build a widgetizer – something that could widgetize any plugin for WordPress. But Erik Rasmussen has beat me to it (via Blogging Pro). It might look like just another text widget, but it executes the PHP code typed within it. WordPress introduced widgets in its recent versions, but not all plugins were widgetized creating problems for users. I had widgetized the Random Quote plugin and wanted to widgetize some more. The difference between what I had thought and this widgetizer is that this will not be able to customize plugin options through the widget GUI. I wonder if this can be built on it! […]

18. Rohit said:

Very nice plugin! Will integrate it into a new design I am working on for my blog.
    Wow you really update you’re blog a lot :P … good stuff here everytime I check, keep it up :).

Thanks Rohit!

20. Lo mejor de WordPress 2 son los widgets | DigiZen: Un blogfesor aprendiendo said:

[…] 2. Random Quote Widget: Para incluir citas al azar […]

21. Dave Trowbridge said:

I can’t get it to work in my theme (dkret2, which is widgetized). When I put it in the sidebar, I get the “Cannot find the random quotes plugin…” It is activated, and I installed it in the plugins directory as instructed. I tried it in the widgets directory, too, just in case, but that doesn’t work, either.

Dave, this widget is a wrapper over WP-Quotes – the original random quote plugin. You will need to install it to use the random quotes.

23. Phil said:

Firstly, what a great widget! It worked perfectly first time I installed. Just a quick question though: is there anyway you can have multiple examples of the random quote? For instance, one quote box on the left column and another (with different quotes) on the right hand column? I’ve only been using WP for a couple of weeks (with no coding knowledge) so you might have to type slowly so I can understand ;)

Thanks

Hi Phil,

I assume you are asking about multiple Random Quote widgets on a blog, like the text widget. It is possible, but there is no way to guarantee that the same quote will not be shown in both the places. The underlying WP-Quotes plugin will be the same and will use the same table in the database.

Please correct me if I have wrongly assumed your question.

25. AUSR Musings - Paula said:

Forget my comment on your other site about not be able to get code into the sidebar.php file. I didn’t see that you had a widget to go along it, and now all is great with the world. It’s the best plugin widget I’ve seen yet!

Paula

26. GED said:

any updates on this?

27. airow.ch » Plugins und noch mehr Plugins! said:

[…] quotes zusammen mit diesem Plugin-Zusatz (komische Wortkreation o_O) – Random quotes ermöglicht das Erstellen von Zitaten, […]

28. KPeBiz.com said:

Hi,

I installed and activated it. But it does not seem to work. I am using WP v2.2 now.

How can I inserts the quote?

Thank you.

This plugin is only a widget wrapper. You will need the WP-Quotes plugin, mentioned in the post, to be able to manage quotes. It provides an admin interface.

30. WP Plugins DB » Plugin Details » Random Quote widget said:

[…] Visit […]

31. Random WordPress Plugins: Rotating Banners, Header Art, Images, Quotes, and Content on Your Blog « Lorelle on WordPress said:

[…] There is now a WordPress Widget for WP-Quotes – Random Quote Widget For WordPress. […]

32. Chris said:

I never managed to have WP-Quotes working on my blog. Thanks to your widget, now it works ! Thank you so much !

33. Cody said:

I’m so glad you made this wrapper! How would one go about retaining the formatting (eg. italicized author name etc)?

34. Vimokshananda Swami said:

Nice to know from your blog that there is a quotes widget. I am interested to give quotes from Swami Vivekananda. Would you please prepare a suitable widget for my site? Thanks! I would be happy if Swami Vivekananda’s photos can be rotated along with the quotes.
    Vimokshananda

35. Norm said:

Does this work with WordPress 2.5

36. Urban Career Coach said:

Thank you so much for creating this widget. It works like a dream.

37. David Gilbert said:

Hi — I really like the widget, but am having a problem…when I use only 1 quote it works great, but when I have more than one, my blog does not load, and I see this in the browser instead..

Next quote »

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanx.

David

David, which WP version are you using? I suspect that the plugin might not be compatible with the newer ones. Thanks for reporting, I will try to find the bug.

39. David Gilbert said:

I am using WordPress 2.6. Thanx for looking into it.

David

40. Fabrizio said:

Hi, doe sit works with 2.6? i really liked the one i had before, the basic wp quotes but with this widgetized themes is always more difficult to change it manually to make it work…

will you upgrade even yourr widget?

41. Gary said:

Abhijit,
    I have the old plugin version 1.3. I would like to “upgrade” as I get a 404 error when I click on the quotes tab under “manage”. However, the plugin was installed for me and is not in the sidebar but in a separate box at the top of my screen. If I download the widget, will it change the layout to the sidebar?
    Thanks,
    Gary

Gary, the layout will not change unexpectedly. You can download the widget and place it using the drag-and-drop interface wherever you want.

Fabrizio, it works with 2.6, I was using it on this site for some time. I have disabled it currently for some other reason.

44. Fabrizio said:

ah.. so i will try deleting it e retrying… thanks :D

45. rodralez said:

Your widget is working great. Thanks!

46. ryan said:

Tried a lot…but this one is good

47. burak said:

hello,

does anyone know if this widget works with 2.7 (latest one) too?

48. reephenda said:

Fantastic post. i will visit soon!

49. WordPress Plugins | Small Business Web Design & Development | WAHM Web Design | Salem, Oregon said:

[…] Widgetize Random Quotes: http://ifacethoughts.net/2006/08/24/random-quote-widget-for-wordpress/ […]

50. suyuti.com said:

can we add personal qoute to this widget? or select which quote that will be show?

(sorry for my bad english)

51. 211.138.124.199:80 said:

I discovered your web site the other day and after reading a couple of posts, thought I might say thanks for all the great content. Keep it coming! I will try to stop by here much more often.

52. Kim said:

There appears to be a file missing (edit-quotes.php) without this the plugin won’t work, do you have a copy?