Blueprint – A CSS Framework

It was about time! With so many good CSS developers keeping chunks of code aside to be reused across projects, a framework was imminent. Olav Bjørkøy takes the credit for building the first one – Blueprint. There is an impressive tutorial that shows how easy it is to customize grid layouts using it. Among the CSS files there are ones dedicated for grid, typography and for resetting values that are set by the browsers. It surely will be useful as a lot of best practices get implemented across projects. I have only two concerns regarding this – flexibility in terms of building variable layouts like elastic, liquid and fixed, and whether the size of CSS files would matter. Otherwise I think it will be useful, at least as a library, if not as a framework. Habari might be one of its first applications.

1. Darren said:

It’s an extremely easy to use framework. In fact I have already written a guide to getting started with Blueprint. It can be found on my website. Enjoy 😀

2. beth said:

While this is a pretty good idea I can’t think of a practical application for me personally.

3. Olav said:

Thanks for the mention, I really appreciate it. 🙂

I just added a group to the Google Code page, check it out if you’re interested: http://groups.google.com/group/blueprintcss

Darren, yes it is easy to get the basic CSS ready quickly. I am still experimenting with it.

Beth, the value is in reusability of specific CSS code and design. Also, the ease with which the grid layout can be customized is cool, however that can be subjective.

Olav, I think it is a neat concept, and probably will find new directions in future. Thanks for the update, checking it out.

6. Mahesh said:

This is awesome Framework. Thanks Abhijit for sharing. Keep Inspiring 🙂

7. Reusability And Non-semantic Names | iface thoughts said:

[…] has been about CSS frameworks and non-semantic names. It is quite true that a CSS framework like Blueprint or YUI Grids gives you non-semantic names. I am not even going to venture into whether it is good […]